Housing Options


There are many options for senior living today, ranging from independent living, to assisted living and nursing homes. 

Independent Living – Some seniors desire to remain in their own homes.  To enhance safe and accessible home living, many community and in-home services are available in Sedgwick County, including minor home repair and safety evaluations.  For those who seek a change in residence, an array of senior focused apartments, duplexes, and condominiums are available, both on a private pay and a subsidized basis.  Amenities and services provided can vary, and some options may involve applications and wait lists.  


Independent Living Housing List - Butler County, KS

Independent Living Housing List - Harvey County, KS

Independent Living Housing List - Sedgwick County, KS


For those looking for indpendent living, Section 8 (Housing Choice Voucher) Program is also available. See below for a link and details.


Assisted Living – Facilities that are designed to offer supportive services that maintain maximum privacy, freedom, and independence fall in this category.  Assisted living facilities can provide, as needed, personal assistance ranging from help with bathing, to medication management, housekeeping, and overall monitoring.


Assisted Living - Butler County, KS

Assisted Living - Harvey County, KS

Assisted Living - Sedgwick County, KS


Home Plus Facilities - assist not more than eight individuals who, due to functional impairment, need personal care to compensate for limitation on activities of daily living.

Home Plus Directory

Nursing Homes – For individuals with significant health problems, a nursing home may be the best option.  Nursing home support services include bathing, dressing, medication management, meal assistance, housekeeping, activities, and more.  Many homes also have special programs for those individuals who have dementia.

Choosing a Nursing Home

In addition, The Kansas Department for Aging and Disability Services' website lists licensed nursing facilities, assisted living facilities, board and care homes, etc. See Long-Term Care, then Licensure, Certification, and Evaluation, then Reports, then Directory of KDOA Regulated Adult Care Providers. 

Kansas Adult Care Provider Directory


Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program - The Sedgwick County Housing Authority's (SCHA) jurisdiction for Section 8 rental assistance is for Sedgwick County (outside the city limits of Wichita), all of Butler County and all of Harvey County. We DO NOT offer assistance for inside the city limits of Wichita.

Applications for the voucher program are available at SCHA office located 2622 W. Central Ave., Suite 500, Wichita, KS 67203 and at various locations within SCHA jurisdiction. For a location near you please contact SCHA at 855.200.2372. Applications are also available to print online. Click below to link to the Sedgwick County Housing Authority web page and to find a printable application.

Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program